Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joseph A Neuberger is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Criminal Law. He has a Masters Degree of Law, and is a published author. Joseph Neuberger leverages almost three decades of experience to build a highly respected criminal defence firm with a proven track record of success.
Mr. Neuberger has extensive trial experience in the areas of sexual and domestic assault cases, homicide, fraud, drug-related offences and impaired driving. Mr. Neuberger has successfully conducted numerous jury trials and has a unique and innate ability to address juries on serious criminal matters.
Mr. Neuberger is also retained by government agencies on high profile Public Inquiries and Inquests. Mr. Neuberger was recently retained by the Provincial Government to act as lead counsel on their behalf in the Cornwall Public Inquiry into historical allegations of sexual abuse in the community.
Mr. Neuberger is a leading expert in the areas of cross-examination and expert witnesses and is a featured speaker at legal education conferences and workshops. His opinions are often sought by the media on high profile cases. Mr. Neuberger’s skilled cross-examinations over the last two decades have resulted in hundreds of withdrawals and acquittals making him one of Toronto’s most sought-after criminal defence lawyers. Click Here to Read More.
Mr. Neuberger is active in the legal community, including the Advocates’ Society, Criminal Lawyers’ Association and is the former President of the Toronto Lawyers Association. Mr. Neuberger is the past Editor-in-Chief of the Toronto Law Journal, a law journal published on line by the Toronto Lawyers Association and is the author of “Assessing Dangerousness, a Defence Guide to the Dangerous Offender Application Process.
Joseph Neuberger is a past President of the Toronto Lawyers Association.
Neuberger, partner with Neuberger Rose LLP and certified specialist in criminal law, joined the Toronto Lawyers Association board as a trustee in 2004 and has been on the executive since 2009, previously serving as secretary and treasurer. Neuberger was the Toronto Lawyers Association president in 2014. Click here to read the article.
Presenter and Panel Member on Extradition, National Judicial Institute, Court of Appeal of New Brunswick (May 2008) – Attended as an expert in criminal and extradition law, with emphasis of Constitutional – Charter based challenges to extradition requests at the committal phase, appeal and Minster’s Review.
Cross-Examination College (May 2008) – Joseph Neuberger and David Rose co-chaired a two day program for the Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association on the fundamentals of cross-examination for lawyers who practice in criminal law. The program focused on putting the defence case to a complainant in cross-examination and undermining the Crown’s case through cross-examination of Police Affiants. Click here for more details.
Defending a Sexual Assault Case Part II (May 2007). Chair and Instructor for an annual program put on by the Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association to instruct lawyers who practice in the area of criminal law on the intricacies of cross-examination of witnesses, handling of unique issues and argument before a jury in sexual assault cases.
Trying a Sexual Assault Case (April 2006). Chair and Instructor for an annual program put on by the Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association to instruct lawyers who practice in the area of criminal law on the intricacies of cross-examination of witnesses, handling of unique issues and argument before a jury in sexual assault cases.
- Appointed to the Ontario Review Board, as alternate chairperson and legal member, June 2002.
- Co-chair and program author for The Advocates’ Society (Toronto, Ontario), Criminal Litigation Skills Certificate Program. 2002 to present. Courses include:
Defending a Domestic Assault Case (October 2004). Mr. Neuberger co-chair of a program instructing other counsel on the complex nature of defending domestic assault cases. Domestic assault cases require keen preparation and unique cross-examination skills. Mr. Neuberger designed this program to enhance the skills and knowledge of fellow advocates.
Conducting the Bail Hearing (March 2004). Mr. Neuberger co-chair of a program instructing other counsel on the skills required for conducting a successful bail hearing or bail review.
Chief Editor the Toronto Law Association Law Journal, Editor Criminal Law, 2004 to 2010
Cross-Examination of the Expert Witness (October 2003) Mr. Neuberger co-chair of a program instructing other counsel on the required skills and preparation for cross-examination directed at undermining Crown expert testimony in all areas, including forensic testimony, psychiatric testimony and scientific.
- Often retained and consulted by the Ministry of the Attorney General, Solicitor General and Correctional Services, on Coroner Inquests and prosecutions under provincial legislation.
- Provides expert legal analysis for Global Television Network. Visit Neuberger Notes to view video segments.
- Member of the American Association for Justice.
- Member of the Toronto Criminal Lawyers’ Association.
- Member of the Advocates’ Society.
Publications & Seminars
- Has been a speaker at conferences held by the Toronto Police Service, Behavioural Unit, domestic and sexual related cases and also association of social workers concerning domestic related offences, as well as mental health workers concerning crimes of violence.
- Currently authoring a text manual on Dangerous and Long-term Offenders, focusing on the issues of expert examination, risk assessment, and treatment.
- Co-authoring with David Rose a publication – Charter Alert – highlighting recent court judgements dealing with Charter related issues.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Specialist in Criminal Law, Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario, 1993
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Master of Laws
- Honours: Thesis – “Administrative Searches, Tax Audits and the Charter.”
- Major: Criminal Law
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- LL. B. – 1991
- Charter Alert Highlighting Recent Court Judgements Dealing with Charter Related Issues, (Co-Author with Rose)
- Editor-in-Chief, Toronto Law Journal
- Author, Assessing Dangerousness: Guide to the Dangerous Offender Application Process
- Instructor, Criminal Section, Bar Admission Course, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Speaker, Domestic and Sexual Related Cases, Toronto Police Service, Behavioural Unit
- Joint Study Institute – Seminar, Montreal, Quebec, June 20-23
- Presenter and Panel Member on Extradition, National Judicial Institute, Court of Appeal of New Brunswick , 2008 – Present
- Co-chair, Cross-Examination College, 2011 – Present
- Co-chair, Cross-Examination College, Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association, 2008 – Present
- Chair and Instructor, Defending a Sexual Assault Case Part II, Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association, 2007 – Present
- Chair and Instructor, Trying a Sexual Assault Case, Advocate Society and Criminal Lawyers Association, 2006 – Present
- Co-chair, Defending a Domestic Assault Case, 2004 – Present
- Co-chair, Conducting the Bail Hearing, 2004 – Present
- Co-chair, Cross-Examination of the Expert Witness, 2003 – Present
- Guest Lecturer, Dangerous and Long Term Offenders, Queens University Law School, 2012 – Present
- Co-Chair and Panel Member, Defending the Mentally Ill, Toronto Lawyers Association, 2012 – Present
- Co-Chair and Panel Member, Cross-Examination College, Advocate Society, 2013 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Past President
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Toronto Criminal Lawyers’ Association, Member
- Advocates’ Society, Member
- Queens University Law School, Dangerous and Long Term Offenders, Guest Lecturer, 2012 – Present
- Toronto Lawyers Association, Defending the Mentallly Ill, Co-Chair and panel member, 2012 – Present
- Cross-Examination College, Advocate Society, Co-Chair and panel member, May 2013
- Toronto Lawyers’ Association, Trustee
- American Trial Lawyers’ Association, Member