× Home Our Services   About Us   Recent Successes Testimonials News And Videos   Contact Us 中文
Contact Our Firm

Canada Border Services Agency finds cocaine in truck’s paneling

Book Your Free Consultation

The criminal justice system can be daunting, but you don’t need to go through it alone. Our Criminal lawyers are here to guide you every step of the way.

Contact Our Firm


In order for someone to be found guilty of a crime in Toronto, there must be clear evidence that removes any doubt that the defendant did what was charged. If there isn’t, he or she cannot be convicted and should be released from custody. For many crimes in Canada, defendants must also know that they are doing something wrong. In this story, a 61-year-old man may argue that he was unaware that he was allegedly bringing cocaine into Canada.

The Colborne, Ontario, man was crossing into Canada on the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor and was stopped by officers with the Canada Border Services Agency and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. What was likely a normal stop quickly turned into a criminal investigation after agents said they found inconsistencies in the tractor-trailer’s wall. They found interior panels with cocaine and methamphetamines stuffed inside.

Although this could easily be damning evidence, the question remains: did the driver know that he was carrying drugs? As most drivers do not own the trucks the drive and may not inspect the vehicles assigned them that closely, it is entirely possible that the driver had no idea that he was bringing cocaine into Canada. And, if he didn’t know, should he really face criminal charges for it?

The driver is now being charged with possession of a substance for the purpose of trafficking and unlawfully importing a controlled substance. To fight such serious charges, he will likely need to depend on an experienced criminal defence lawyer.

Source: The Globe and Mail, “Ontario man, 61, charged in major drug seizure at Ambassador Bridge in Windsor,” 15 Aug. 2013

Leave a Reply


PHONE: (416) 364-3111
FAX: (416) 364-3271