Ontario hockey player facing two charges for sexual assault

Ontario hockey player facing two charges for sexual assault

On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in Sexual Assault on Thursday March 28, 2013.

An 18-year-old Ontario hockey player for the Windsor Spitfires is facing two charges related to incidents that occurred in local bar washrooms. One sexual assault charge is in connection with an incident that occurred at a nightclub with other players during a St. Patrick’s Day and end-of-season party. The second sexual assault charge comes from an incident that allegedly occurred three weeks prior to the first count. This second incident is also believed to have occurred in the washroom of a local bar.

Authorities say that they spoke with a 16 year old who said that she had been sexually assaulted at approximately 1:50 a.m. They then took the hockey player into custody after he was named by the girl. He was held in custody and had his bail set at $30,000. During this investigation, police learned about another female who said that she was assaulted by the same man at a different bar.

The hockey player is not originally from Canada and appeared in court recently regarding the accusations. He has been banned from drinking, patronizing bars and possessing any weapons. He has also been banned from Essex County. Moreover, he has been ordered not to contact any witnesses, including any of his fellow teammates that may have information about the case. Three other OHL players have faced sexual assault charges this season.

Athletes sometimes face charges of this nature, but they have the same rights as everyone else. Just like everyone else, the government must prove that they committed the crimes they have been accused of and there should be under no harsher scrutiny than anyone else in Ontario. A criminal defence lawyer may be able to provide assistance to individuals in this situation and to provide them with a solid defence.

Source: 
Canada.com, “OHL player, 18, charged with two counts of sexual assault,” Claire Brownell, 19 March 2013

Share on:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

ARCHIVES

CONTACT INFORMATION

1392 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, ON M6C 2E4
Fax (416) 364-3271

COVID-19 UPDATE

On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in COVID-19 on Tuesday March 17, 2020.

At Neuberger and Partners, we are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and have implemented safety measures to ensure the safety of our clients and staff. Our priority is and always will be the health, well-being and safety of our staff, clients and colleagues.

We have put in place various measures to prevent and minimize the impact of COVID-19:

  • In addition to standard hand-washing habits, our staff are washing hands before and after every client interaction;
  • All individuals entering our office will be required to use our hand sanitizer to ensure the safety of our other clients and staff;
  • Regular disinfecting of our offices, public areas, meeting rooms and board rooms as well as increasing the frequency of disinfection of higher-traffic surface areas;
  • If a lawyer or client who has a scheduled meeting is feeling unwell, they will be strongly encouraged to stay home;
  • For the time being, we will avoid greeting clients and colleagues with our usual handshakes;
  • We will make every effort to ensure our firm will be stocked up with extra tissue and alcohol-based hand sanitizer; and
  • We will monitor and stay informed from the Government of Canada and World Health Organization for facts as they become available. We will ensure all staff and team members are educated on symptoms and are well informed on prevention and best practices.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will the firm still run if there are closures?

  • We are committed to assisting our clients. We remain open to assist our clients at this time (following aforementioned standards for health and safety). For clients who wish to communicate with our firm virtually, we have the technology for virtual meetings and are able to respond to the needs of our clients in a manner best to protect our staff and clients’ health.

Are staff and lawyers set up to work virtually?

  • All lawyers and staff are set up to work virtually and continue to assist clients and one another remotely. All lawyers are available via telephone, email and virtual video conferencing.

What is the court situation? How will we deal with court closures?

  • At this time, the Superior Court of Justice is closed from March 17, 2020 to June 1, 2020 – unless a judge orders otherwise.
    If you have a March matter, your matter will be postponed to June 2, 2020.
    April matters will be postponed to June 3, 2020 and May matters will be pushed to June 4, 2020.
  • Similarly, the Ontario Court of Justice will be closed for 10 weeks for all out of custody matters in criminal practice court. In custody matters will still be addressed. It is unclear if out of custody matters such as trials or preliminary hearings will continue since the courts have left this decision to the discretion of the judges. However, Bail courts will remain open for the time being.
  • The Court of Appeal for Ontario has suspended all scheduled appeals until April 3, 2020. But we are still able to file materials and apply for urgent appeals to be heard.
  • We will advise clients by email of their next Court date.

How can payments be made?

  • Payments can be made via e-transfer and visa payments can be made over the phone.

If I have to deliver something to my lawyer, how shall I go about it?

  • For clients who wish to drop off documents but do not wish to come in contact with any one at the firm, you are encouraged to drop them off in our mail slot in front of our office.

We will be open and available for any questions, comments or concerns. Please call (416) 364-3111 for any further information.

Stay safe and healthy,

Joseph Neuberger