Toronto police officer suspended without pay after conviction

Toronto police officer suspended without pay after conviction

On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in violent crimes on Thursday December 26, 2013.

At what point should employers penalized their employees for a criminal conviction? Is it ever appropriate? Should employers care if an employee has a criminal record? It seems that the Toronto police force cares, as it has recently decided to suspend without pay a police constable who was convicted of — but is appealing — a charge of assault with a weapon. The 33-year-old constable was accused of using excessive force on a G20 protester in 2010. Even though the officer is currently out on bail during the appeal process, his career is at risk.

Moreover, if the constable loses his appeal, he could be fired. Even though he would only serve 45 days in jail and could easily return to the police force following his punishment, it has been suggested that there is a very real risk of being fired. As it is, the officer will have to go through an internal police investigation and discipline process following the conclusion of his trial.

When individuals in certain professions are accused or convicted of criminal activity, they risk losing their jobs. Because the assumption that individuals in these professions cannot or should not have criminal records, even the tiniest mistake could cost an individual his or her job. Police officers, because they enforce the law, may be especially at risk.

The constable is one of two police officers to be criminally charged following the 2010 protests. The other officer, also a constable, was acquitted of all charges. It is unknown if he is still employed by the Toronto police force.

Source: The Canadian Press, “Toronto cop convicted of G20 assault sentenced to 45 days in jail,” Allison Jones, Dec. 9, 2013


Share on:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


1392 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, ON M6C 2E4
Fax (416) 364-3271


On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in COVID-19 on Tuesday March 17, 2020.

At Neuberger and Partners, we are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and have implemented safety measures to ensure the safety of our clients and staff. Our priority is and always will be the health, well-being and safety of our staff, clients and colleagues.

We have put in place various measures to prevent and minimize the impact of COVID-19:

  • In addition to standard hand-washing habits, our staff are washing hands before and after every client interaction;
  • All individuals entering our office will be required to use our hand sanitizer to ensure the safety of our other clients and staff;
  • Regular disinfecting of our offices, public areas, meeting rooms and board rooms as well as increasing the frequency of disinfection of higher-traffic surface areas;
  • If a lawyer or client who has a scheduled meeting is feeling unwell, they will be strongly encouraged to stay home;
  • For the time being, we will avoid greeting clients and colleagues with our usual handshakes;
  • We will make every effort to ensure our firm will be stocked up with extra tissue and alcohol-based hand sanitizer; and
  • We will monitor and stay informed from the Government of Canada and World Health Organization for facts as they become available. We will ensure all staff and team members are educated on symptoms and are well informed on prevention and best practices.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will the firm still run if there are closures?

  • We are committed to assisting our clients. We remain open to assist our clients at this time (following aforementioned standards for health and safety). For clients who wish to communicate with our firm virtually, we have the technology for virtual meetings and are able to respond to the needs of our clients in a manner best to protect our staff and clients’ health.

Are staff and lawyers set up to work virtually?

  • All lawyers and staff are set up to work virtually and continue to assist clients and one another remotely. All lawyers are available via telephone, email and virtual video conferencing.

What is the court situation? How will we deal with court closures?

  • At this time, the Superior Court of Justice is closed from March 17, 2020 to June 1, 2020 – unless a judge orders otherwise.
    If you have a March matter, your matter will be postponed to June 2, 2020.
    April matters will be postponed to June 3, 2020 and May matters will be pushed to June 4, 2020.
  • Similarly, the Ontario Court of Justice will be closed for 10 weeks for all out of custody matters in criminal practice court. In custody matters will still be addressed. It is unclear if out of custody matters such as trials or preliminary hearings will continue since the courts have left this decision to the discretion of the judges. However, Bail courts will remain open for the time being.
  • The Court of Appeal for Ontario has suspended all scheduled appeals until April 3, 2020. But we are still able to file materials and apply for urgent appeals to be heard.
  • We will advise clients by email of their next Court date.

How can payments be made?

  • Payments can be made via e-transfer and visa payments can be made over the phone.

If I have to deliver something to my lawyer, how shall I go about it?

  • For clients who wish to drop off documents but do not wish to come in contact with any one at the firm, you are encouraged to drop them off in our mail slot in front of our office.

We will be open and available for any questions, comments or concerns. Please call (416) 364-3111 for any further information.

Stay safe and healthy,

Joseph Neuberger