Young man charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle

Young man charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle

On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in Drunk Driving on Tuesday March 25, 2014.

Everyone makes mistakes; this is an unavoidable fact of life. Some mistakes are relatively minor, like forgetting to turn the lights off when leaving home. Some are more major. Although most of us in Toronto wish our mistakes to be forgiven, when a mistake becomes criminal, it can mean serious punishment, a criminal record and all the negative consequences that come with both. When those mistakes are made young (as they so often are), the effects of a criminal conviction can haunt someone for years to come.

For a young man from Tilbury, he could be facing a rough time if convicted of impaired driving and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. The 22-year-old was stopped in the early morning by Chatham-Kent police in Tilbury. It is not entirely clear what drew police to this driver as reports do not indicate that he was swerving, drifting or otherwise driving dangerously. Once stopped, however, he was arrested and held.

Though released on a Promise to Appear, this young man could be facing years of hardship if convicted. Not only would a drunk driving charge stay on his record, but it might also prevent him from crossing into the United States. He would have to deal with driving restrictions, fines and potentially time in jail.

Again, everyone makes mistakes and what is important is that we learn from them. Even if it is true that this young man was driving over 80, it would be better to teach him the danger of impaired driving without setting him up for a difficult future by giving him a criminal record.

Source: WindsoriteDOTca, “Drunk Driving Charge In Tilbury,” Liz Thorne, March 22, 2014


Share on:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.


1392 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, ON M6C 2E4
Fax (416) 364-3271


On behalf of Neuberger & Partners LLP posted in COVID-19 on Tuesday March 17, 2020.

At Neuberger and Partners, we are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and have implemented safety measures to ensure the safety of our clients and staff. Our priority is and always will be the health, well-being and safety of our staff, clients and colleagues.

We have put in place various measures to prevent and minimize the impact of COVID-19:

  • In addition to standard hand-washing habits, our staff are washing hands before and after every client interaction;
  • All individuals entering our office will be required to use our hand sanitizer to ensure the safety of our other clients and staff;
  • Regular disinfecting of our offices, public areas, meeting rooms and board rooms as well as increasing the frequency of disinfection of higher-traffic surface areas;
  • If a lawyer or client who has a scheduled meeting is feeling unwell, they will be strongly encouraged to stay home;
  • For the time being, we will avoid greeting clients and colleagues with our usual handshakes;
  • We will make every effort to ensure our firm will be stocked up with extra tissue and alcohol-based hand sanitizer; and
  • We will monitor and stay informed from the Government of Canada and World Health Organization for facts as they become available. We will ensure all staff and team members are educated on symptoms and are well informed on prevention and best practices.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will the firm still run if there are closures?

  • We are committed to assisting our clients. We remain open to assist our clients at this time (following aforementioned standards for health and safety). For clients who wish to communicate with our firm virtually, we have the technology for virtual meetings and are able to respond to the needs of our clients in a manner best to protect our staff and clients’ health.

Are staff and lawyers set up to work virtually?

  • All lawyers and staff are set up to work virtually and continue to assist clients and one another remotely. All lawyers are available via telephone, email and virtual video conferencing.

What is the court situation? How will we deal with court closures?

  • At this time, the Superior Court of Justice is closed from March 17, 2020 to June 1, 2020 – unless a judge orders otherwise.
    If you have a March matter, your matter will be postponed to June 2, 2020.
    April matters will be postponed to June 3, 2020 and May matters will be pushed to June 4, 2020.
  • Similarly, the Ontario Court of Justice will be closed for 10 weeks for all out of custody matters in criminal practice court. In custody matters will still be addressed. It is unclear if out of custody matters such as trials or preliminary hearings will continue since the courts have left this decision to the discretion of the judges. However, Bail courts will remain open for the time being.
  • The Court of Appeal for Ontario has suspended all scheduled appeals until April 3, 2020. But we are still able to file materials and apply for urgent appeals to be heard.
  • We will advise clients by email of their next Court date.

How can payments be made?

  • Payments can be made via e-transfer and visa payments can be made over the phone.

If I have to deliver something to my lawyer, how shall I go about it?

  • For clients who wish to drop off documents but do not wish to come in contact with any one at the firm, you are encouraged to drop them off in our mail slot in front of our office.

We will be open and available for any questions, comments or concerns. Please call (416) 364-3111 for any further information.

Stay safe and healthy,

Joseph Neuberger